By Katherine Santosa, M.D., M.S.
Being a mother is a beautiful experience, but it can take a toll on a woman’s body. After pregnancy and childbirth, many women experience changes in their bodies that can be difficult to reverse through diet and exercise alone. This is where a mommy makeover can come in.
What is a mommy makeover?
Looking and feeling your best after having a baby is important for many new moms. This personalized cosmetic surgery procedure combines different treatments to target specific areas of the body that may have been affected, including the breasts, abdomen, and thighs. From breast enhancements to tummy tucks and liposuction, a mommy makeover can help moms regain their confidence and feel beautiful both inside and out.
Common procedures included in a mommy makeover are:
- Breast lift or augmentation: A breast lift or breast augmentation can restore the shape and volume of the breasts, which may have sagged or lost volume because of breastfeeding or weight changes.
- Tummy tuck: A tummy tuck can remove excess skin and fat from the abdominal area, tighten the muscles, and create a flatter, more toned-looking stomach.
- Liposuction: Removing stubborn pockets of fat that may have accumulated in areas such as the thighs, hips, or buttocks can be achieved through liposuction.
- Vaginal rejuvenation: This procedure can tighten the vaginal canal, improve vaginal lubrication, and reduce urinary incontinence.
Who is a good candidate for a mommy makeover?
A mommy makeover is an excellent option for women who are looking to address multiple areas of their bodies at once. However, it is important to note that this procedure is not a one-size-fits-all solution. Some factors that can determine whether you are a good candidate for a mommy makeover may include:
- You are in good overall health and have realistic expectations for the outcome of the procedure.
- You have completed your family and are not planning on having more children in the future. This is important because pregnancy can reverse the effects of the procedure.
- You have tried other methods, such as diet and exercise, but have been unable to achieve your desired results.
- You are willing to take time off work and allow your body to properly heal after the procedure.
What happens during the procedure?
A mommy makeover typically involves multiple procedures, which can vary depending on your specific needs and goals. Before the procedure, your surgeon will discuss your goals with you and create a personalized treatment plan that addresses your concerns.
During the procedure, you will be placed under general anesthesia. Your surgeon will then perform the agreed-upon procedures, which may take several hours to complete. Once the procedure is finished, you will be monitored closely in a recovery room before being released to go home. Depending on the procedure(s) included in your mommy makeover, you may stay overnight in the hospital before going home to facilitate a safe and smooth recovery.
What is the recovery time and aftercare?
Recovering from a mommy makeover can take several weeks or even months, depending on the extent of the procedures. During this time, it is important to follow your surgeon’s instructions carefully, which may include:
- Taking pain medication as prescribed to manage discomfort.
- Avoiding strenuous activity, including lifting heavy objects or engaging in intense exercise.
- Wearing compression garments to support the healing process and reduce swelling.
- Attending follow-up appointments with your surgeon to monitor your progress and ensure that you are healing properly.
It is also important to maintain a healthy lifestyle after the procedure, including a balanced diet and regular exercise, to help maintain the results of the procedure.
What else should I know about mommy makeovers?
A mommy makeover can be an excellent way for women to regain their confidence and feel more comfortable in their own skin after pregnancy and childbirth. However, it is important to remember that this procedure is not without risks, and it is essential to work with a qualified, experienced surgeon who can guide you through the process and ensure that you achieve your desired results safely and effectively.
If you are considering a mommy makeover, be sure to schedule a consultation with one of our Plastic Surgeons at The Center for Plastic Surgery at MetroDerm.
About the Plastic Surgeon
Katherine Santosa, M.D., M.S. – Dr. Santosa is a female plastic surgeon in the Atlanta-metro area who has specialized training in aesthetic surgery of the face, breast, and body, as well as minimally invasive surgical and non-surgical procedures. She obtained her medical degree at Washington University School of Medicine. After medical school, she completed her plastic surgery training at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. During her residency, she received a postdoctoral research fellowship at Washington University School of Medicine. Dr. Santosa moved to Atlanta to complete an Aesthetic Society-endorsed fellowship at the Center for Plastic Surgery at MetroDerm under the leadership of Dr. Foad Nahai and Dr. Farzad R. Nahai. Dr. Santosa enjoys playing tennis, attending barre classes, exploring Atlanta with her friends and family, and spending quality time with her husband, Andy, and daughter, Evelyn.