Liposuction Surgery Produces Results
Liposuction Surgery is a popular cosmetic surgery procedure for both men and women. It is not a method of weight loss; it is a body contouring procedure designed to remove stubborn pockets of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise. Farzad R. Nahai, M.D. at The Center for Plastic Surgery at MetroDerm, P.C. has performed hundreds of liposuction procedures for patients throughout the Atlanta, GA area. Contact us today and schedule a consultation to see if you are a candidate for this life-changing surgery. There are 2 types of fat in the body:
- Subcutaneous fat: Subcutaneous fat lies just under the skin; it acts as a buffer to support the skin and is an energy storage material. Only the subcutaneous fat is removed by the procedure.
- Visceral fat: This is the fat that is packed around the organs. Visceral fat is not accessible by liposuction and can only be reduced by diet and exercise or after bariatric weight loss surgery. Visceral fat is highly associated with diabetes, hypertension, and cancer.
Some of the most common areas to receive the treatment are:
- Cheeks and chin
- Arms, neck, and back
- Abdomen and waist
- Thighs, hips, and buttocks
- Inner knee
- Calves and ankles
Candidates for Liposuction Surgery
Once Dr. Nahai evaluates your physical health and surgical goals, he selects the technique best suited to your needs from the following choices:
- In good health.
- Tried diet and exercise.
- Have distinct areas of localized fat.
- Have realistic expectations.
- Realize that liposuction is not a treatment for obesity.
About the Procedure
Liposuction surgery takes anywhere between 1-4 hours, depending upon the extent of the surgery. It is performed under general anesthesia, local anesthetic, or IV sedation. During the surgery, Dr. Nahai makes a series of small incisions and inserts a thin tube, or cannula, attached to a syringe or surgical vacuum, to dislodge and suction any excess fat.
- Tumescent (traditional) liposuction: a common technique that involves injecting a tumescent solution to allow for more precise fat removal and minimize bruising and discomfort.
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction: uses ultrasound energy to liquefy the excess fat before removing it from the body.
- Power-assisted liposuction: similar to the tumescent technique but uses a vibrating cannula designed to gently break up the fat cells so that they may be suctioned out with minimal disruption to the surrounding tissues.
- Laser-assisted liposuction: utilizes the thermal power of a small laser beam to heat and liquefy the targeted fat cells before suctioning them out of the body.
Liposuction surgery leaves patients with only minimal scarring and the newly-enhanced contours of your body will be noticeable once the fluid retention and post-operative swelling has subsided. Although the fat cells that have been aspirated, or suctioned out, during the liposuction procedure will not repopulate, your results will be compromised if you do not maintain a healthy lifestyle; untreated areas of the body could gain weight, ultimately causing an irregular contour.
Each patient is unique; therefore, results of treatment may vary.
Liposuction Surgery produces amazing results. Dr. Nahai will explain the procedure and tell you how it can improve your looks. Call The Center for Plastic Surgery today to make an appointment to find out more. The Center serves patients from all over metro Atlanta, GA including Buckhead, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Roswell, Brookhaven, and Duluth.