Rhinoplasty is the most frequently requested cosmetic plastic surgery procedure amongst teenagers. Plastic surgery performed on teenagers can be controversial, as some professionals argue that a teenager is not mature enough to understand all of the implications of surgery. By involving the parents in the consultation and surgical process, Dr. Farzad R. Nahai, a board-certified plastic surgeon at The Center for Plastic Surgery at MetroDerm, P.C. in Atlanta, GA, ensures that the results are rewarding and very well accepted. Often, teen rhinoplasty patients have their nose surgery performed during school vacations, such as winter, spring or summer break. The splint, or cast, needs to stay in place for 6 to 10 days after surgery, so this is very feasible. However, any discussions regarding contact sports need to be addressed during the consultation to ensure a safe healing period.
Dr. Nahai carefully screens teenage rhinoplasty candidates and works closely with parents to determine whether the teen is seeking Rhinoplasty for the right reasons. It’s important that the teen patient understands the risks and benefits of the surgery and be psychologically mature enough to handle the experience.
There are two reasons that teenagers seek rhinoplasty surgery – either to improve the appearance of the nose or, to correct a nasal breathing issue. One of the most important criteria for having teenage rhinoplasty is that the nose has stopped developing. Because the nose, specifically the septum, the wall that separates the two sides of the nose, serves as the focal point or center for mid-facial growth, timing is critical. Prematurely disturbing this growth center could lead to abnormal development of the face. Experts claim that this happens at around age 13 or 14 for girls and 15 or 16 for boys. Dr. Nahai’s teenage rhinoplasty patients are typically between the ages of 15 and 19.
Benefits of Surgery
- A teenager’s skin recovers from rhinoplasty surgery more easily at a young age.
- The skin is stronger and more elastic than an adult’s skin, so it is easier to adapt to the new framework underneath.
- Builds confidence and improves overall quality of life.
- The risk factors associated with rhinoplasty surgery are minor
When you have a rhinoplasty procedure, there are a number of steps that should be taken to prepare:
- Eat a balanced, nutrient-rich diet before and after surgery to prepare the body and to help speed recovery.
- If you are a smoker, abstain for at least two weeks before and after surgery. Smoking increases the risk of infection and slows the healing process.
- Avoid taking medications containing aspirin for two weeks before the surgery.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight the night before the surgery.
- Be certain you do not have a cold or sunburn the day of the surgery.
- Do not wear make-up or contact lenses the day of the surgery.
- Have someone drive you on your surgery day and assist you for a few days after surgery to allow a smooth and speedy recovery.
Every patient is unique; therefore, results of treatment may vary.
The teen rhinoplasty procedure can transform your appearance. Call The Center for Plastic Surgery at MetroDerm, P.C. to schedule an appointment, The Center serves patients around the metro Atlanta, GA area including Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Milton, Alpharetta, Brookhaven, and Buckhead.