Every year, more than 120,000 Americans opt for a facelift as their method of facial rejuvenation. And for good reason. A facelift can tighten sagging skin, get rid of deep facial creases, tighten and refine the neck, eliminate jowls, and take years off your appearance.
The medical term for a facelift is “rhytidectomy,” and the procedure is as complex as that word sounds, which is why careful consideration should be given as to whom you choose as your Atlanta facelift plastic surgeon.
Of course, we think the easy choice is either Dr. Foad Nahai or Dr. Farzad Nahai. Don’t take our word for it, though. For two years in a row, this father-son team has been honored by Newsweek as two of the top facelift plastic surgeons in the country. Dr. Foad Nahai is currently ranked No. 1 in Georgia and No. 8 in the U.S., while the younger Dr. Farzad Nahai is currently ranked No. 6 in Georgia and No. 124 in the U.S.
To determine the rankings, Newsweek conducted a national survey among plastic surgeons, asking them to recommend the best plastic surgeons in their state as well as across the U.S. Additionally, participants were asked to rank their peers according to several quality dimensions.
3 Steps to Selecting Your Atlanta Facelift Surgeon
First, your Atlanta facelift plastic surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the only plastic surgery board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties. Additionally, look for someone who is also a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). These designations demonstrate that your surgeon meets extremely high practice standards. In addition, ask your plastic surgeon these questions:
- How did you train in facelifts?
- How many years have you been performing facelifts?
- How many times have you performed a facelift?
Second, because facelifts are as much about the surgeon’s individual artistry as it is about technical skill, look at the surgeon’s before-and-after photo galleries, which will help you determine of the surgeon can achieve the look you want. Here’s how to proceed:
- Pay close attention to patients who have similar facial qualities to you to get a better sense of what outcomes you might expect.
- Look for patients who have similar facial structures, are around your age, and have some of the same concerns, such as a sagging neck or loose jowls.
- Look for consistency in the surgeon’s results. Do their results look like you want to look after your surgery?
Third, before selecting your Atlanta facelift plastic surgeon, schedule a face-to-face meeting and have an honest conversation about your goals and expectations. During this conversation, pay attention to how the surgeon and staff make you feel. They should be professional, attentive, compassionate, knowledgeable, and pleasant. Ask yourself:
- Do I like spending time with this surgeon?
- Do I trust this surgeon to recommend what’s safe and right for me?
- Would I feel comfortable asking this surgeon any question I might have throughout the process?
- Do I feel comfortable disclosing my full medical history and habits to this surgeon? (This is critically important to your safety.)
Trust your instincts. If you feel comfortable and confident with the surgeon, he or she has all the appropriate board certifications and designations, and their photo galleries are in harmony with your own goals, then the plastic surgeon is likely a good fit.
Why ASPS Membership is Important
Becoming a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons is no easy task. ASPS-member surgeons must:
- Be board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery;
- Have a minimum of six years of surgical training following medical school, with at least three years of plastic surgery residency training;
- Successful pass comprehensive oral and written exams;
- Graduate from an accredited medical school;
- Complete of annual continuing medical education, including patient safety; and
- Perform surgery in accredited, state-licensed, or Medicare-certified surgical facilities.
Get the Checklist
If you still need help in selecting the right Atlanta facelift surgeon for you, then this downloadable cosmetic surgeon comparison checklist offered by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery (ABCS) might be helpful.
Of course, we invite you to schedule a complimentary facelift consultation with Drs. Foad or Farzad Nahai. Either surgeon – both of whom are considered among the absolute best facelift plastic surgeons, not only in Atlanta, but also in the state and the nation – will help you tick off the essential items on the ABCS checklist.